Monday, August 27, 2012

A list of films, Fall/Winter 2012 edition

I have to admit, this post is much more for me than usual, (I've really been dragging my feet on a Cosmopolis post), but I thought it'd be a good idea to write out some of the films I'm interested in seeing that are coming out later this year. There's a lot of interesting stuff coming up, and I plan to try and save some cash to see a few NYFF films. ($24 for one ticket hurts!)

August (now)

  • Robot and Frank: It seems like this is getting mixed reviews, but if you haven't noticed, I really like robots/androids/AI, so I'm excited to see it.
  • Side By Side: I love film, and I'm really sad that it's dying out so quickly, and I'm always interested in cinematography. Learning about the processes of shooting on film and digital will be really great, and apparently Keanu Reeves is a pretty damn good interviewer. (I also still have a soft spot for him anyway after all these years.)
  • Lawless: It looks interesting, Tom Hardy is in it. I haven't read any reviews of it yet, but I might try and catch it if I don't blow my money on other films (or booze, let's be honest here).
September
  • The Master: I have never seen a Paul Thomas Anderson film, and to be honest, I don't think The Master is really my thing, but it's shot on 70mm and critics are freaking out about it and I should probably get on the PTA train at some point anyway. I really hope it'll be projected on the full 70mm over here.
  • Looper: The fact that I haven't seen a Rian Johnson film is pretty silly, there's been a lot of buzz around this film, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Do you really need much more?
  • Samsara: A very close friend recommended Baraka, which I still haven't seen. There's no 70mm screenings, apparently, but I'm positive this is something I need to see in theaters.
  • Dredd: I think the twitter campaign got me, but it at least looks like my kind of fun. Also Karl Urban helps.
New York Film Festival
(note: these don't have as good reasons, to be honest, the fact that they're at the festival is usually draw enough. Either that, or I just saw a critic rave over it. Unfortunately, unless money starts falling from the sky I probably won't be able to see more than one, two if I'm lucky.)
  • Caesar Must Die
  • Fill the Void
  • Holy Motors
  • Lawrence of Arabia (restoration)

October
  • Cloud Atlas: I'm really hoping this is good, because I loved the trailer, and I still believe in the Wachowskis.
  • Seven Psychopaths. Yeah, I'm not going to lie, all I know about it is that it has a cool cast, including Tom Waits. Sometimes I don't have the best reasons.
  • Argo: Not entirely sure about this film, but the trailer interested me, so it's another 'depends on cash' sort of thing.
December/January/whenever it comes out?
  • Django Unchained: I was in love with Inglourious Basterds, and the premise of Django seems even better. I heard that the release date might get pushed back to 2013 but hopefully it'll come out before the year is over. I'm actually so excited for this that I'm trying my best to go in blind; I haven't watched a single teaser and the only images from production I've seen were by accident. I went into Inglourious Basterds not expecting much, and I'm hoping I can be pleasantly surprised by Django too.

No comments:

Post a Comment